Ingestion of methanol is a medical emergency. It is often

(Solved) Click Order Now to get answers to this question

Ingestion of methanol is a medical emergency. It is often treated by administering ethanol, which prevents the dangerous effects of methanol metabolism. In the body, methanol is oxidized to formaldehyde (methanol), a toxic molecule that damages proteins (and many other biomolecules). Ethanol is oxidized by the same enzyme as methanol, alcohol dehydrogenase, to acetaldehyde, a metabolite that can be further processed and is less harmful to biomolecules. Why is ethanol given to patients that have ingested methanol? Justify your answer with an explanation that uses theory from the course content

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.